Mediterranean Sausage Pita
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Roll Sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (about 3 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1 pkg. (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped kalamata olives (about 15 olives)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 pita bread rounds (with pockets), cut in half
- Thin red onion slices (optional)
- Cook sausage, oregano and garlic in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Return sausage mixture to skillet. Stir in lemon juice.
- Combine spinach, tomatoes, cheese, olives and pepper in large bowl.
- Fill pita halves with sausage mixture, then spinach mixture. Add onion slices, if desired.
Kalamata olives are eggplant-colored, almond-shaped Greek olives with a rich, fruity flavor. Look for them in the deli section, or in jars in the condiment section, of your supermarket.)
4 servings (2 filled pita halves each)