Amanda’s Stovetop Sausage Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 package Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Roll Sausage
- 4 cups dry elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Cheddar Cheese Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional Spices: ground red pepper, paprika, dried thyme
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions in large saucepan; drain and set aside.
- Cook sausage in same large saucepan over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in same saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add milk; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove ¼ cup of the sauce. Slowly add egg to cooked sauce, whisking constantly to avoid cooking egg. Add back to sauce. Gradually add cheese, cooking and stirring until melted. Stir in ground mustard; season to taste with salt, seasoned salt and pepper, if desired.
- Stir in cooked macaroni and sausage; mix lightly.
- Serve immediately or pour into a lightly greased, 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with additional shredded cheese and bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Cook’s Tip: If desired, add optional spices to taste.
This recipe was created in partnership with Jimmy Dean brand for the Family Table program.