Becky’s Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 package Jimmy Dean® Premium Italian Regular Roll Sausage
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out centers leaving 1/4-inch thick shell. Place into lightly greased, 13x9-inch baking dish, cut side up.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Stir frequently.
- Add peppers, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and oregano; cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Fill zucchini with meat mixture; top with shredded cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and cheese is melted.
• I like my zucchini tender crisp, which is how it will turn out with this preparation. If you like a softer zucchini, boil for 1 to 2 minutes after scooping out the center, then continue with the recipe as written.
• Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #JDFamilyTable!
• This post is sponsored by Jimmy Dean. All thoughts and opinions are, as always, 100% my own.
This recipe was created in partnership with Jimmy Dean brand for the Family Table program.