Jimmy and Jack Empanadas with Sweet Maple Apple Ginger Syrup
Prep Time:45 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- ½ cup maple-flavored syrup
- ¼ cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons ginger preserves *
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 9 eggs, divided
- ¼ cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Original Sausage Crumbles
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey-Jack cheese
- 1 can (16 ounces) refrigerated jumbo biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine maple syrup, apple juice concentrate, ginger preserves and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over MEDIUM heat until mixture just comes to a boil and sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Beat 8 eggs and milk and salt and pepper to taste in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Melt butter in large non-stick skillet over MEDIUM-LOW heat. Add eggs; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or just until set. Stir in sausage and green onion cook 2-3 minutes or until sausage is hot. Stir in cheese; remove from heat.
- Press or roll out each biscuit on lightly floured surface to 6-inch circle. Spoon about ½ cup sausage mixture onto center of each biscuit. Beat remaining egg with water; brush onto edges of biscuits. Fold in half; press edges together with fork to seal.
- Place on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush tops with remaining egg wash. Bake for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with syrup.
Substitute 2 tablespoons apricot preserves combined with ¼ teaspoon ground ginger for ginger preserves.)
8 servings (1 empanada each)