Zesty Sausage Cheese Balls
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Hot Roll Sausage
- ¾ cup all-purpose baking mix
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup seeded, finely chopped fresh jalapeño peppers
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix all ingredients in large bowl just until blended. Shape into 36 (1-inch) balls.
- Place in 2 lightly greased baking pans.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until done (160°F).
- Serve with toothpicks, if desired.
Stove-Top Variation: Do not preheat oven. Mix ingredients and shape into balls as directed. Cook half the sausage balls in large skillet over medium heat 15-17 minutes or until done (160°F), turning frequently. Remove from skillet; place in single layer in shallow pan to keep warm. Repeat with remaining sausage balls.)
Serve with toothpicks, if desired.)
Spicy Sausage-Cranberry Cheese Balls: Substitute 1 cup dried cranberries , 1 cup chopped pecans and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg for onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper; continue as directed above.)
Italian-Style Sausage Cheese Balls: Substitute 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Original Roll Sausage for Premium Pork Hot Roll Sausage, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves, ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper, 1 large garlic clove, minced and ½ teaspoon dried oregano for onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper; continue as directed above.)
Make Ahead: Sausage balls can be shaped ahead of time and frozen. When ready to serve, heat oven to 375°F. Place frozen balls on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 16-18 minutes or until done (160°F).)
Note: It is easiest to mix the sausage mixture using your hands. Mix just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.)
18 servings (2 balls each)